Every 2nd Wednesday of the month, families will be gathering together around a meal to build an altar of praise, worship and prayer. If you are single or an empty nester, we also want to encourage you to gather together with others as a spiritual family to do the same. Have a wonderful time, and we look forward to hearing how your time went.
Dinner Table Discussion
Table discussion does not have to be limited to the following questions.
- We have all spoken lies or half-truths or have heard lies
- What are some reasons for why people may lie/not tell the truth? Are any of these reasons ever valid? Eg. a “white lie”
- How does it make you feel when someone lies to you?
- How does it make God feel? Why do you think God included “Do not Lie” as part of the 10 Commandments?
- What is the difference between speaking a lie, and withholding the truth? How are they the same or different?
- Choose a simple song to sing as a family.
- Have a short round of praising God for who He is.
Message for the family
Truth or Falsehood
- Read p. 294 (October 10th) from ‘Abba’s Heart’ (available for purchase in church office), and prepare a short devotion appropriate for your family.
- The message can be paraphrased or be read depending on the age of your group.
Therefore this is what the Lord says: “If you repent, I will restore you, that you may serve me; if you utter worthy, not worthless, words, you will be my spokesman.
- Do you exaggerate, not tell the whole truth, or avoid speaking the truth? Can you think of a time recently when you did not speak the truth?
- What does it mean to “Speak the Truth in Love? (Eph 4:15) Why do we always need love when we speak the Truth?
God’s Word is Truth: John 17:17 “Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth”
The only way we will know and speak the truth is to read and meditate daily in God’s word. God’s word is the only source of Truth. Today in school, news, and media, it is very hard to know what is truth and what is not. Soaking in God’s word will give us a clear mind to know what is right and wrong. Not what our friends say, not popular opinion, not the internet or news articles.
- Do you soak daily in God’s Truth, His Word? Make a re-commitment to spend time in His word daily.
- Pray together and commit your speech and mind to be sanctified by God’s truth. Ask God to help you that no unwholesome talk will come out of your mouth, but only what is helpful for building others up, that it will benefit those who listen (Eph 4:29)
- At the end of each day, reflect on what you have spoken. Were they truth spoken in love or falsehood?
Truth or Falsehood?
Truth and falsehood are diametrically opposed to each other. Truth is part of reality while falsehood is sometime unreal. God’s Word of truth created the heaven and the earth while the devil’s words of lies can destroy humankind, sending them to hell. Speaking God’s Words can cause nothing to become something while speaking the words of lies can turn something into nothing. The truth builds while falsehood destroys. What come out of our mouths can become the conduits of God’s creative acts or the devil’s destructive schemes.
Prophets are supposed to be God’s mouthpieces and they are to speak forth the Word of God to the people. Only when they have heard from the Lord and sent from Him that their words become the truth. Lying prophets are those who have neither been called nor spoken to by God. What they prophesy is not truth but Falsehood, offering peace to the people when there is no peace. Their lies give people false hopes, lying visions and worthless divination with the deceit of their own minds. They are to be punished and judged by famine and sword.
The true Word of God is like food to Jeremiah he found God’s Words and he ate them. The Word became to him a joy and the delight of his heart. Truth is like food to the body and joy to the soul, it points to the reality based on God. It is not like a deceitful brook or waters that fail. There is no empty promise there but God’s truth delivers. The Lord told
Jeremiah that he would be restored and stood before Him. If he uttered what is precious and not what is worthless, he would be as His mouth and speak His Words to the people. Every time when Jeremiah spoke, things would happen for he was speaking the Word of God, the truth.
We are to build up one another with our words, not to tear down one another with our lies. If everyone in the community of faith begins to speak truth to one another instead of lies or falsehood, the lives of the believers can be built up. The Word of Christ, if absent in our conversations, emptiness and void can set in. Many so-called “fellowship” groups do not have true fellowship but repeating of what others in the world are saying. We exchange tips about car buying and investing instead of using God’s truth to admonish each other.
Sometimes our conversations are built around immigrations, projections, exaggerations that are not real. We lie to impress others and our words are not based on truth. Many tell stories that are not true to slander one another. We have neglected the power use of the words, giving the devil a place within our churches. Before you utter your next words, ask God to cleanse your mind and from all falsehood. Speak only the truth and see God’s creative power In operation, changing lives instead of destroying them.