Youth News: Feb. 13, 2020Thursday July 2nd, 2020
Hello Youth Family!
This morning in our Time with Abba, we get to this year’s first reading of Jesus’ crucifixion and death on the cross from the Book of Matthew. This morning I am confronted again with the message of the Cross of which our Savior was crucified and consider my life unworthy. I still fall short, I’m still not good enough. When Jesus took the torture, the humiliation, and disgrace that came with being crucified with rebels and sinners, I felt the Lord say, you’re worth it to me.
I bless you Youth family, whether or not you’re going to the Winter Retreat this weekend to claim the promise that comes with the message of the cross, and draw near to your heavenly father who says “you’re worth it”.
E2 NEWS overview
- Reminder: 9:30am ES Worship Service only
- Youth Winter Retreat Update
- E2 Hoodies are Ready!
- State of the Youth Parent Meeting 2/22
- Youth Baptism Class
- Enlighten Mental Health Seminar 2/29
- Screenagers Movie 2/29
2/15 No E2: Winter Retreat
2/22 • 5pm State of Youth Parent Mtg
• E2 Large Group
2/29 Screenagers Movie
– – – – –
3/7 Deeper Life Conference
3/14 E2 JH Small Groups / HS Talk
3/21 E2 JH Talk / HS Small Groups
3/28 E2 Large Group
– – – – –
2020 Youth Winter Retreat IMPORTANT INFO
Meet @ 4pm, TOMORROW! 2/14
Check in time is at 4pm at SJCAC in the sanctuary. Remember to allow extra time for Friday commute traffic. The bus leaves at 5pm. Don’t be late!!
We encourage all students to increase their intake of vitamin C in preparation for the retreat. A limited supply of masks will only be available at the venue. Feel free to bring your own if you have some.
- Please tag all pieces of luggage with student’s name.
- Rolling luggage cases are preferred for the short walk from the bus to/from the venue.
- Limit of one luggage and one backpack per student.
- If using plastic bags for covering any loose items, we recommend using CLEAR plastic bags. DO NOT USE dark trash bags as they can be (and have been) confused for trash. White trash bags are ok only if labeled with a name.
- Snow Gear We are anticipating snow and very cold weather. Plan to bring waterproof gloves, jacket, pants, boots, and a beanie for the snow.
THINGS TO BRING on the bus:
- BYOBBD: (Bring Your Own ‘Brown Bag’ Dinner) for the bus ride on Friday. We will not be stopping for a mealtime, only a quick stretch.
- BYORWB: (Bring Your Own Refillable Water Bottle) Remember to label your reusable bottles to distinguish them from others.
- If your student is prone to motion sickness, please have them pack motion sickness pills. A limited supply of Dramamine will be available on the bus.
REMINDER: 9:30am English Worship Service only
Feb. 16 (Sun)
Please plan to attend English Service at 9:30am in the chapel or the Mandarin Service at 11:20am in the sanctuary.
There will not be a second hour English Service this Sunday. There will be a fellowship time in the chapel instead. Many of our leaders and students will be at the Youth Winter Retreat.
E2 Hoodies are Ready!
E2 Hoodies are available for pick up! For those who pre-ordered AND attending the Winter Retreat, pick up you hoodie from Sam after check-in.
For all other pre-ordered shirts (not attending the retreat), pick up yours next Saturday, Feb.22, at E2. Later, we will open up to the rest of the youth group on the limited supply of hoodies we have left over for purchase.
State of the Youth Parent Meeting
Saturday, Feb. 22 @ 5pm-6pm
Parents, mark your calendars now! Are you curious about what God is doing in the lives of your students? Come and hear all about what God is doing especially as this meeting is the week after Winter retreat.
Youth Baptism Class
Would you like to know what baptism is all about? Are you thinking of getting baptized? Do you have questions about baptism? Come find out answers to these questions and more at the Baptism Class starting February 23, Sunday. Attendance at all classes is mandatory for baptism.
Enlighten Mental Health Seminar
Feb. 29, 2020 @ 9am-12:30pm
The topic of Mental Health is on the rise in the world around us as well as its effects in our community. Let’s come together and learn how we can walk with those affected. Enlighten Mental Health Ministry is inviting you and your families to a half-day seminar to encourage and educate our community around mental health.
Two workshops are offered on the topics of:
- Depression and What To Do About It – by Dr. Phillip Lowe, PsyD
- Caring For The Carer – by Susana Fong, LCSW
DATE: Feb. 29, 2020
TIME: 9:00am – 12:30pm
PLACE: Lord’s Grace Christian Church, 1101 San Antonio Road
For more details and to register, go to: https://enlightenmentalhealth.org/
Cost is $15 for one workshop / $25 for both workshops. Register by Feb. 15, 2020 for early bird pricing.
Saturday, Feb. 29, 2020 @ 7pm-9pm
How much is too much screen time?
Why do you care how much time kids spend on screens?
A MUST SEE documentary film for Parents and Youth!! Screenagers I (中文字幕) on Saturday, February 29, 2020 from 7:00PM – 9:00PM; this is for all parents and youth 10 years or older. Childcare will be available for those under 10 years old. MOVIE TRAILER: www.screenagersmovie.com
Family Screen Time Agreement Template and Ideas by Delaney, filmmaker of Screenagers